Grilled French Toast With Peaches and Rasperry sauce

Okay, I am not the biggest French Toast fan, I generally find it soggy or at best a crispy outside with a mushy inside. This is not my idea of a nice meal. A few weeks ago we were out at the lake with some friends, and for Breakfast one day we had French Toast. To my surprise it was fantastic. The difference, it was made on the BBQ. This morning I went about trying to make the best French Toast. I think I have succeeded. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.




I like to start with the Berry Sauce. You can pretty much use any berry's you like, I had raspberries and strawberries in the freezer so that is what I used, But if you have Blackberries, Saskatoons' or Blueberries use those, or any combination.  The key is to make sure these are plain, no sugar added.



The Sauce

1/2 C Raspberries (Fresh or Frozen)
1/2 C Strawberries ( Fresh or Frozen)
1/2 T of maple syrup or honey

Put all ingredients into a small sauce pan and simmer on medium low heat for 15-30 min, stir occasionally. This is not a thick syrup like sauce, but you will want to reduce it enough that it is not super watery.

Grilled Fruit

I used peaches and they were oh so yummy, but most stone fruits should work great on the grill. Mangoes, Apricots, Nectarines all work really well so use what you prefer.

Remove the stone from your peaches (or whatever fruit you are using) and cut in quarters, or keep in halves if your fruit is small. If your like me you will want to peel the fruit as well though this is an optional step.

**Start BBQ**



French Toast

6 thick  slices of a crusty bread ( Don't use sandwich bread here, it will be to flimsy)
4 eggs
1/4 C Milk

Whisk the eggs and milk until well combined.

Make sure grill is heated to a Medium heat. Your grill will need to be well cleaned and then well greased. ( a paper towel with oil on it and a set of tongs work well for this step)

Once the grill is prepared place the fruit on once side of the grill. Dip the bread in the egg mixture and place on the grill. When everything has nice grill marks it should be done.





Serve with Whipped Cream and Enjoy.


 

Comments